Alumni Park & Memorial Union Terrace Rules
Welcome to our neighborhood! Alumni Park and the Memorial Union have teamed up to create these simple rules that cover the “neighborhood” along the Lake Mendota lakeshore.
No Carry-in Alcohol
No Commercial Photography
No Bikes or Skateboarding
No Carry-in Food/Drink
Alumni Park Facilities Rules and Guidelines
- General Rules and Guidelines
For the safety and enjoyment of all visitors, the following items and activities are not allowed in Alumni Park, One Alumni Place, the Rooftop Deck, or Goodspeed Family Pier:
- Weapons including but not limited to guns, knives and nooses
- All tobacco products including e-cigarettes
- Animals excluding service dogs
- Bicycles (except parked in designated racks), roller blades, scooters, skateboards, Frisbees® and other thrown objects
- Motorized vehicles or devices (except for authorized vehicles or ADA-recognized mobility devices)
- Drones (except as permitted by University policy)
- Large Coolers (small personal containers ok)
- Catered or delivered food other than for a permitted event (personal meals are allowed)
- Carry-in alcohol
- Cooking or grilling (without permission)
- Music or amplified sound, including personal amplified devices (without permission)
- Organized sports, athletics or ballgames
- Vending, peddling, soliciting or petitioning
- Commercial or promotional events or activities (without permission)
- Organized or promoted activities or events (without permission)
- Commercial photography (without permission). See the Photography Policy.
- Misusing, damaging or tampering with exhibits.
- Picking flowers or plants, or walking, sitting, or lying in garden beds.
- Obstructing sidewalks, entrances or paths
- Chalking or marking on any area or item.
- Signs, tables, furniture, tents or structures (without permission). Terrace chairs should not be brought into the park. No stakes of any kind may be driven into the ground in the park or deck.
- Abusive language directed at staff member(s) or other Alumni Park patron(s).
- Remaining in Alumni Park facilities (Park, Place, Pier, Deck) outside posted open or event hours.
- Other items, activities or behaviors that may contribute to an unsafe environment or that otherwise interfere with or disrupt Alumni Park facilities and programs.
- Enjoy Exhibits: Park exhibits are in the open and available for interaction. Participants interact at their own risk.
- Minors: With the exception of UW-Madison students, minors should be accompanied by a parent, guardian or responsible adult.
- Bias or Hate: As a part of the University of Wisconsin-Madison community, Alumni Park values a diverse and hospitable learning environment where incidents of bias and hate are not tolerated and should be reported. Report an incident online; information at doso.students.wisc.edu.
See full Park Rules Summary (PDF) for more
No carry-in alcohol (alcohol not purchased through the Wisconsin Union) is allowed in Alumni Park or on the Goodspeed Family Pier.
During the days and hours the Memorial Union Terrace is open, alcohol purchased at Memorial Union is allowed in designated areas of Alumni Park during Park open hours and on the Pier during Pier open hours.
Alcohol may not be brought into:
- One Alumni Place
- Rooftop Deck
- Pyle Center
- Pyle Center courtyard
See the Alumni Park Alcohol Policy for details.
- Photo/Video Approval
Photography and Video
Personal photographs are a great way to remember your visit to Alumni Park, and are welcome and encouraged. No approvals are needed for personal photographs.
If you would like to use Alumni Park for professional photography (e.g., professional wedding or graduation portraits), or for personal or class projects (e.g., posed photography sessions, a film production), you must obtain approval before capturing images or video on Alumni Park/UW-Madison property.
We can allow non-commercial entities to proceed with prior approval. You must obtain approval before capturing any images or video on Union/UW-Madison property. Please submit requests at least two business days in advance.
Please note: By entering Alumni Park facilities, you consent to having your image captured by official photographers and videographers. The resulting materials may be used by the Wisconsin Foundation & Alumni Association without restriction or financial compensation in news and promotional materials, and on the web or other properties. If you do not agree to having your image captured or recorded, please let Alumni Park staff know or do not enter the venue.
- Goodspeed Family Pier
Please limit docking to two hours; no overnight docking. No commercial activity, amplification or
carry-in alcohol on the Pier.
- Permitted Events
To best support the establishment of park grounds and operations, for the first spring and summer the park is open (Spring-Summer 2018), organized park uses will be limited to programs and events presented by or co-sponsored by the Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association. Alumni Park will be open for campus uses that align with the park mission starting in later in 2018 when reservations guidelines and fee schedule will be made available.
Alumni Park facilities are managed by the Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association in partnership with the Wisconsin Union, and staffed in partnership with UW-Madison Campus and Visitor Relations. Staff of any of these organizations may provide patron support and request compliance with these rules in Alumni Park facilities.
Alumni Park is located on University of Wisconsin-Madison campus lands, and all visitors are expected to follow the rules of UW Chapter 18: Conduct on University Lands which defines a wide range of behaviors on university lands or at campus-sponsored events.
Patrons who do not comply with these rules may be subject to sanctions including removal from the premises, disciplinary action under applicable university student and employee disciplinary processes, and/or referral to UW-Madison Police Department. Per the shared enforcement zone developed for Alumni Park and the Memorial Union Terrace, any removal of a person from Alumni Park shall also extend to the Memorial Union Terrace, and vice versa.
See the full Patron Code of Conduct for details.