Erected in 1911, the Camp Randall Memorial Arch is a reminder that the site on which the UW–Madison football stadium stands was, during the Civil War, Wisconsin’s largest army post. The structure was designed in the style of an ancient Roman triumphal arch, reminding visitors that “seventy thousand of [Wisconsin’s] soldier sons” — not to mention 1,400 Confederate prisoners — passed through the camp during the four years of war. Named for former Wisconsin governor Alexander Randall, the area became UW property in 1893, and the UW built its first stadium there in 1895. The state built the arch to mark the 50th anniversary of the year the Civil War started.
The art for the Badger Pride Wall was created for WAA by Madison illustrator Nate Koehler.